Apr 11, 2014

"Bottles - Part 2"

"Bottles" is the theme this month at


The team came up with some absolutely beautiful ideas 
for you last week, with so many different, creative ideas!
You can alter one, add a label, or even use a stamp of one...
as long as the humble bottle is your focal point.  
Seeing as we are a stamping challenge, then it must show some stamping of course.

My inspiration this time came from an ad on tv.
It showed bright butterflies flying out of a jar with a black background.  
Ok, it looks nothing like the ad on tv...but that is inspiration for you ~ it can come from anywhere and take you where ever!


The idea of butterflies and a jar was well and truly stuck in my head, so I added a face, sat a butterfly on her nose 
and one on the jar. 
To have a black background seemed a little harsh. 
(though, it would've looked great and really emphasised the colours...ummm).
 Instead I have opted for softer colours, then
lightened the colours on the jar itself so that it was the main focus.

 I decided to 3D the butterflies outside of the jar in contrast
to the colourless flat ones inside the jar and add some glitz,
so it looks like they are coming to life.
The background is a marbled look using ranger re-inkers and DI's.

And finally, to ground the whole picture, I added some
grey swirls to the bottom corner.

When I look at this card I think of my son...and the doctor
who is treating his depression, and her husband
who has given him a job, lifted his spirits and given him confidence.
In a way he is the trapped butterfly that is set free
and the lady is the one who sets him free.
The butterfly on her nose is him stopping by to say thank you.

This is not the reason for making the card, 
but it is where it takes me when I look at it.
I think I will give it to her as a keepsake.

I wonder, what do you think of when you see this?

If you pop on over to the Craft Stamper Blog you will see the challenge details and some more inspiring samples by the DT.
Grab your inspiration from where ever you find it, and run with it
~ and then join in the fun...that is what it is all about.

Enjoy!

15 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful project and the thoughts behind the art Dot,she will love it and treasure it I am sure.
Tracy
xoxo

ElizabethR said...

Gorgeous!!!!!!! Have a good weekend, Hugs Elizabeth xxxx

Meggymay said...

Beautiful project, love the jar of butterflies, so please you let them escape.
Yvonne

Maggie said...

Fabulous project great idea so glad they are flying free

MaggieH

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful Dot, love how you have taken that inspiration and produced such a creative design xx

Sandy said...

There is nothing like the sweet smell of butterflies coming out of a jar. I remember the smell of the jar the day after I would catch lightning bugs.
You are so creative and a fantastic artist!
Sandy xx

shirley-bee said...

Beautiful card, Dot! I like how you glitzed up the free butterflies.

Renee said...

I love butterflies and your creative use of them! Beautiful card.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I love it, it's such a wonderful idea and great card.

Mrs.B said...

Absolutely stunning, so creative.
Avril xx

Margik said...

Wonderful tag and cute butterflys. It's a great idea!

Diane said...

Fabulous design and so creative.

Hugs Diane

butterfly said...

Love that jar, and what a lovely use of that beautiful new woman stamp!
Alison x

Linda said...

What a fabulous idea .... I love the jar full of butterflies. xx

Buttons said...

A fantastic piece of inspiration here Dot. Jenny x